Saturday 9 July 2011

Day 9 into 10 - Blantyre

The road from Blantyre to Zomba is horrendous!! Full of pot holes and in such disrepair!!  We eventually got to Blantyre and headed to a local 'azungu' hangout for pizza.  We had a rendevous with Dom from the Responsible Safari Company to make a payment for an upcoming safari we were doing (Matthew was invited and chose to join us).  After that we walked around to find some school supplies for Nakoma School including markers, blue pens, red pens and some wood glue. It was hot and we were puggled!!
We stayed the night in a centre run by the CCAP (Church of Central African Presbyterian (the old Church of Scotland) called Grace Bandawe.  It was another inexpensive place with clean beds and hot showers. We had a meal there and even got a short time access to the internet too.  Matthew went to visit his family so it was only Mary and I who stayed there.
On Sunday morning we woke up and headed to church.  Mass started at 8:30 and it was in English. As the local protestant, I was a little out of my depth and because the church was so busy, I wasn't able to sit with the experts, Mary and Matthew.  It wasn't a surprise however, that the lovely man beside me guided me in when to stand up, sit down and walk to the front to give the offering (I passed on communion particularly after the sermon was all about those Christians who don't believe that the host is actually the body of Christ...I wondered at one point if someone had called ahead and the priest had written it for me!!).  He shared his hymn book with me and the hand of friendship. It was a very interesting service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment